Our mission of sustainability stems from our owner John Perrotti. John studied business management and environmental studies at Ithaca College. During his time at Ithaca, he was fortunate enough to attend COP16, which is a congregation of climate scientists from around the world. At this conference he learned of the devastating impacts that waste and pollution have had on our environment. Furthering his studies he realized that we live in a world that promotes waste. When starting Mobility Equipment Recyclers John vowed to incorporate sustainability into as many aspects of the company as possible.
Mobility Equipment Recyclers holds strong core values regarding sustainability. We strive to put our biggest efforts towards sustainable practices in hopes that we can inspire others to do the same. Unwanted mobility and medical equipment end up being dumped into landfills at an incredible pace. We are here to put an end to this. We strive to be leaders in recycling neglected medical and mobility equipment so that we can find this equipment a new home with someone who is in need. This equipment encompasses all Durable Medical Equipment (DME) and includes electric wheelchairs, mobility scooters, hospital beds, patient lifts, ramps, handicap vans, walkers, commodes and much more. By recycling this equipment, we are able to turn around and provide it to those in need at a discounted rate up to 90% off. We are also able to repair broken equipment for those who no longer have functioning units at similar discounts.
Recycling Our Products
Even equipment that most people wouldn’t look twice at, we still make use of. Roughly 90% of every unit we take in gets recycled. We make a careful determination of each product that we take in. If a product as a whole is beyond refurbishment, we often times opt to break said product down into parts for future use. In doing so, we recycle the metal and batteries from equipment that is taken apart.
….Our sustainability efforts don’t just start and end with medical equipment. In fact, it is instrumental in how we conduct business from top-to-bottom. Let us tell you a little bit more about sustainability, why it matters to us, and how you can help!
In House Furniture
Most of our desks, tables, chairs, and shelves are reused or recovered. All of these office and showroom essentials would have just ended up in landfills, but instead we have provided a second home inside of our store located at 6802 Post rd. in North Kingstown, RI.
As different pieces of mobility and medical equipment come in we have to find a way to clean them. Using generic dish soap or car wash soap creates runoff that is toxic to our environment. Instead, we use…
- Simple Green:
- We use Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner because this product is Eco-friendly, biodegradable, and non-toxic to our employees and the planet. Simple Green’s All-Purpose Cleaner formula has obtained the U.S. EPA’s Safer Choice Label. Any product with this label is guaranteed not to contain potentially dangerous chemicals, harmful dyes, and fragrances.
- Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner is used in our store to safely clean all of our incoming power wheelchairs, manual wheelchairs, patient lifts, hospital beds, and power wheelchair parts and accessories.
- By using Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, it ensures that we are contributing to Eco-friendly practices within our company.
We ship refurbished parts and accessories anywhere in the United States, so our sustainability stretches far outside the storefront. We continuously reuse boxes, packing peanuts, and Styrofoam to minimize the amount of waste that leaves the store.
- The Jamestown Press:
- We utilize donated newspapers that didn’t sell or were unused by the Jamestown Press. We take these newspapers and reuse them as packing paper for the products that we ship out. We do this so that these newspapers have a second use and we realize that there is no need to further landfill waste by using regular packing paper.
- Earth Stretch Wrap:
- An Eco-friendly shrink wrap that we use to wrap products that we are preparing to ship out
What can you do?
- Recycle – If you have Durable Medical Equipment such as power wheelchairs / electric wheelchairs / motorized wheelchairs, mobility scooters, hospital beds, shower chairs, commodes, patient lifts / hoyer lifts, ramps, manual wheelchairs, handicap vans or any other type of mobility and medical device, please contact us. You can reach us at 401-294-4111. We recycle most any condition item, so give us a try! 401-294-4111
- Buy used -Rather than purchasing new equipment, we have a huge selection of high quality used equipment for sale. All of our products have been thoroughly cleaned, tested and prepared for re-sale. A lot of times, the equipment we receive has barely been used and is in like new condition. Buy with confidence and help us save the planet!
- Tell your friends – The majority of people, especially in the handicap world are not aware that we are providing these resources. This is why it is so important to spread the word. The more people that know about our services, the more landfill waste that will be reduced and the more money that will be saved by deserving individuals. Don’t let someone you know throw their equipment away unnecessarily and don’t let someone you know pay the ridiculously high prices for new equipment when they can save up to 90% off purchasing second hand equipment.
We at Mobility Equipment Recyclers see the world as our home. And because of that we want to protect our home, allowing our grandchildren to have a cleaner greener future. Engaging in sustainable practices now, will pay off for the future generations to come. The time has come for change, so join us on our mission as we strive for a sustainable future.